Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Arrest of a U.S. Citizen

If you are aware that a U.S. citizen is under arrest in New Zealand, please ask the authorities to notify the U.S. Consulate General immediately. The Consulate General can work to help protect the person and ensure fair treatment. The Consulate General will also visit the prisoner; provide information about the local legal process, as well as a list of local attorneys; and notify family and friends.

More information is available at:

For more information on what the Embassy can and cannot do, as well as an overview of the New Zealand justice system, click on this attachment - New Zealand’s Criminal Justice System (PDF).

Consulate General Auckland

  • The Consulate General in Auckland provides all U.S. consular services in New Zealand:  The Embassy in Wellington is unable to provide consular services.