Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Child Passport (0-15 years)

Consulate General Auckland

The Consulate General in Auckland provides all U.S. consular services in New Zealand:  The Embassy in Wellington is unable to provide consular services.


Passport for minors under age 16

See guidance also at

To renew or obtain a passport for a minor under age 16, the applicant must apply by appointment in person to the Auckland Consulate at Level 3, Citigroup Center, 23 Customs Street East, Auckland (cnr. Commerce St) or at one of the Consular Outreach visits.  The child must appear in person with parents to make the application.  Consulate location map

  1. A completed Passport Application DS 11.
  2. Present proof of U.S. citizenship of minor
  3. Present evidence of minor's relationship to parents/guardians (Birth Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad)
  4. Provide parental identification
  5. Present proof of identity of minor
  6. Present Parental Application Statement of Consent - for instructions go to Please also bring a notarized copy of the non-appearing parent’s identification e.g. passport or Driver’s License. 1
  7. Provide one passport photo of minor (Note: the photo must be 2" x 2" in size, clear and on a white or off- white background)
  8. Pay the applicable fee
  9. Provide a Social Security Number of minor 2
  10. Provide a courier envelope for your passport to be mailed to you
  11. Make an appointment.

1 Both parents' consent is required before a passport can be issued to a minor under 16 years. Parents' residing in Auckland must appear in person with their child, and cannot use the consent form. For families residing outside of Auckland, if one parent cannot appear at the Consulate, a statement of consent (DS 3053), together with the non-appearing parent’s identification (or notarized copy of their identification), must be submitted.

The Department of State requires that such statements of consent be notarized. The statement must give the non-appearing parent's unequivocal and unconditional consent to the issuance of the passport, and must be notarized before foreign notaries or local officials authorized to take acknowledgments and witness signatures. New Zealand qualifies under the Hague Convention to use Justices of the Peace to notarize these statements. Justices of the Peace can be found in all communities within New Zealand. 

2 If you wish to apply for a Social Security Number for your child when you apply for the passport, also complete Form SS-5 and submit both applications together.

Frequently Asked Questions about passports (FAQs)

Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States

Office Hours

  • Please be advised of the Counter Hours for the U.S. Consulate General in Auckland. The office is closed to the public on the last Wednesday of every month.

    • Passport Services for American Citizens
      All ACS Services by appointment (with the exception of emergency services). 1:00pm - 3:00pm Monday to Friday, except the last Wednesday of each month, and U.S. and N.Z. public holidays.
    • Emergency Services for American Citizens
      8:00am- 11:45am and 1:00pm- 3:45pm Monday to Friday, except the last Wednesday of each month, and U.S. and N.Z. public holidays. For emergencies outside of these hours please phone either: +[64] (9) 303 2724 ext. 2900; or +[64] (4) 462 6000.
    • Non-immigrant visa interviews
      By appointment only
    • Immigrant visa interviews
      By appointment only
    Click here for detailed contact information